Sunday 14 December 2014

Eagles and Egrets

Yesterday I went out with Dermot Breen, for a days birding around the Corrib. I didn't get many useable photos but we saw some birds. At the first site we stopped at, almost instantly a great-white egret was found, this is a bird that has been hanging around the lake for some time. It flew at some distance but was a brilliant Irish tick for me. A ringtail Hen Harrier and Sparrowhawk were also seen here. At the next site on the Corrib, we had great views of 2 ringtail hen Harriers and a merlin. I picked up a distant eagle like bird sitting in trees on the far side of the lake, and Dermot confirmed it as a white-tailed eagle. The bird was wing-tagged, so it is one of the reintroduced birds. Later on we had distant but good flight views as it chased gulls.
    The next spot we went on to was Loughrea, for a returning drake Ring-Necked Duck, which was promptly located on the north side of the lake, a lifer for me! Also here were, rather unusually, 3 long-tailed duck. In all I got 3 county year ticks, which added with recent siskin and crossbill put me at 147 for the year. Below are some harrier record shots.
Being mobbed by a hoodie




No comments:

Post a Comment