Friday 28 November 2014

An Albino, some Pinnipeds, and my yearlist targets

So, As i'm sure you have noticed, theres not been many blog posts recently, none in fact. I am just posting an update of all thats been around as of late. Birds have been slightly quiet, but this allows for time to study the commoner species. I also spent some time watching a herd of seals hauling out very close to the shore, which can be quite approachable, allowing for some decent photos. Notable birds around the patch include Spotted redshank and the recently arrived Brent Geese and Purple Sandpipers.
    Last Sunday I took part in the Galway Bay count with Dermot Breen. The best birds were an amazing pure albino Curlew (this bird may have been around for a while, first seen by Tom Murtagh), and my first ever black-throated divers, bringing the Galway yearlist up to 141.
    The push is now on to try make at least 145 by years end, preferably 150. Notable omissions, and ones I will be trying hard to connect with are:
Crossbill, Siskin, Whooper Swan(for Galway), Red grouse, Kingfisher and Common Scoter. Another possibility would be the returning Forster's Tern at Nimmo's pier.
So thats all for the minute, I will keep out though and keep adding to that list.












Record shot of the curlew, really doesn't do this bird justice


No comments:

Post a Comment