Saturday 12 April 2014

Little Terns at Barna Pier!

Today I had one of the most enjoyable and productive days on my patch I have ever had. I arrived at Barna Pier beach at about 1 o'clock for a spot of birding and within 5 minutes of arriving I had found not one but two little terns! The little terns were beautiful birds and a lifer as well as patch tick but they didn't stay for long. I only managed distant record shots of the birds.
     Meanwhile the numbers of sandwich terns were amazing, at least 50 calling and fishing in the bay. I also saw some distant manxies in the bins but I have never seen any from Barna pier before. I then photographed the resident Purple Sandpipers, Dunlin, Turnstones and some Brent Geese. I saw a swallow that had just come in from the sea flying around as well.
     After an hour getting soaked while lying in the sand with a camera I left the beach at the pier and headed east along the coast to Rusheen bay. I saw a distant kestrel, a summer plumaged great -northern diver, good numbers of sand martins and a dead fulmar.
     At Rusheen bay I came across a rock pipit with quite a prominent supercilium, I was thinking it could be a littoralis or scandinavian Rock pipit but would welcome any opinions on it.
Awful record shot-Spot the little terns

Turnstone

Dunlin

Brent geese in the surf

Purple Sandpiper

Possible scandinavian rock pipit?

No comments:

Post a Comment